Pages

Friday, September 20, 2013

Beginning the balancing act: my diabetes goals



I have had Type 1 diabetes for almost a quarter century. During this time I have tried, mostly unsuccessfully, to maintain tight blood sugar control. I have reached a point where I want to be successful at this balancing act or I will suffer some life-threatening consequences.
I recently spent several weeks recumbent and incapable of working or getting around on my own recovering from foot surgery. It gave me time to enjoy life and the things around me and forced me to realize that working is not all there is to life. I realized years ago that we spend more time at work (or school) and sleeping than we do with loved ones and enjoying our hobbies and interests. I wouldn't call it my "biological clock" but something similar told me it is time to think about bigger things: my legacy.  My husband and I have decided we would like to start a family. We would prefer to do so by traditional methods, and it is going to take a lot of effort on my part.

I hope I can help others, and get advice from those who have been through it, by keeping a log of my endeavors.


Most recently: HbA1c: 7.9%, 146 lbs; left ankle pain, mild plantar fasciitis 


Goal 1
Decrease HbA1c to 6.0 or below

Goal 2
lose 20 lbs

Goal 3
minimize highs and lows

Goal 4
get the ok from my endocrinologist!

No comments:

Post a Comment